The Scottish Government announced today that it reached its 500MW target of community and locally-owned energy five years early with a total generating capacity of 508MW renewable energy now installed.
Anne Schiffer, energy campaigner for Friends of the Earth said: “We wish to congratulate the Scottish Government and those communities involved who have made this happen. With the UK Government’s sustained and ideological attack on renewable energy, this announcement is fantastic news.
“What is important now is that we see this as a starting point of a citizen-led renewables transformation not the end. Scotland must continue to lead the way to an energy future that benefits both people and the planet. To ensure even more communities benefit across the country, we urge the Scottish Government to double the 2020 target to 1000MW as well as set an ambitious target of 2000MW for 2030.”
“Community ownership has been instrumental in achieving broader public acceptance of renewables and is vital in helping reach the Scottish Government’s 100% renewable energy target for electricity demand by 2020. Community energy helps tackle climate change and enables communities to use local natural resources to create jobs and strengthen local economies.
“Climate change means that we have to transform our energy systems from dirty fossil fuels to renewables. Community energy allows us to put people at the heart of that change.”
Notes to Editors
1. Scottish Government official announcement. http://scottishgovernment.presscentre.com/News/Community-renewables-meets-target-early-1df6.aspx
2.The Scottish Government target for community & locally-owned energy was 500MW by 2020.
3. Friends of the Earth Scotland Community Power campaigns for people’s ownership of renewable energy. It aims to improve policy and legislation and build broad public support for community energy across Europe. For more information visit www.communtiypower.scot
4. Friends of the Earth Scotland is:
* Scotland’s leading environmental campaigning organisation
* An independent Scottish charity with a network of thousands of supporters and active local groups across Scotland
* Part of the largest grassroots environmental network in the world, uniting over 2 million supporters, 74 national member groups, and some 5,000 local activist groups. www.foe-scotland.org.uk